Friday, December 14, 2012

Race Advantages?

Racism has always been a big problem in this country. Slowly it becomes less and less a problem, but, even though many think it is no longer an issue, there are sections of the country who are still racist.
However, I would like to talk about a different kind of racism. And before you read the next sentence and accuse me of being racist, just hear me out. I think that we give too much advantage to races outside of caucasion/white. I do not believe playing fields are as equal in this country as they should be.
When you apply for college and go searching for scholarships, other races aside from whites have advantages - to an extent - because you can get scholarships just by checking that little race box that says your hispanic, or black, or etc.
I think that this race box should be taken out of tests like the SAT, ACT, and on applications. I do not understand why it is necessary to know the race of an applicant. If admission is equally dispersed to all the races, you should not receive money for college simply because you are a certain race.

No comments:

Post a Comment